Established in 1992, the Australian Celtic Festival in Glen Innes is a vibrant celebration of Celtic culture, music, dance, and art that has been a cherished tradition for over three decades. This annual event pays homage to various Celtic nations and is a must-visit for anyone who appreciates the rich heritage of the Celtic world.
The festival rotates its focus among different Celtic nations each year, highlighting their unique traditions and contributions. In 2024, the theme revolves around Ireland and the Isle of Man, promising an immersive experience into their captivating cultures, folklore, and history. This theme allows festival-goers to dive deep into the heart of two distinct Celtic regions, discovering their art, heritage, and traditions over four exciting days.
Dates: The 2024 Australian Celtic Festival takes place in May.
Location: Situated in the picturesque Glen Innes, New South Wales, the festival unfolds at the Australian Standing Stones, a symbolic National Celtic Monument. The stunning backdrop of these standing stones, reminiscent of ancient Celtic calendars, adds a unique and mystical ambiance to the event.
- The festival boasts close to 200 events, including music performances, traditional dances, solemn ceremonies, thrilling Highland games, lively parades, and engaging children’s activities.
- The Australian Standing Stones site features a replica black house and cultural landmarks, enhancing the festival’s authenticity.
- Over the years, the event has grown from a small gathering to a major festival, attracting over 6,000 attendees from around Australia and beyond.
- Local businesses participate by hosting independent events and offering Celtic-themed products, creating a vibrant atmosphere in the town.
- The festival’s 30th-anniversary celebration in 2022 marked a remarkable milestone, showcasing its enduring appeal.
- Live music performances by renowned Celtic artists.
- Traditional Celtic dance shows and workshops.
- Highland games and competitions.
- Parades featuring colorful costumes and cultural displays.
- Exhibitions and performances throughout the town.
- Engaging children’s activities to introduce young ones to Celtic heritage.
Past Events: In 2022, the festival celebrated Wales, Cornwall, and Brittany, while 2023 focused on Scotland. These past events showcased the diverse tapestry of Celtic traditions and culture.
Past Artists: The festival has featured a range of notable Celtic artists and bands over the years, creating unforgettable moments for attendees. Specific artist lineups can be found on the festival’s official website.
Website Address: Australian Celtic Festival Website
Facebook Page Address: Australian Celtic Festival Facebook Page
Local Area Tourism Information: Glen Innes, located in Ngoorabul Country, offers more than the festival itself. Visitors can explore the breathtaking landscapes of New South Wales, including national parks, waterfalls, and scenic drives. The town also has a rich mining history and vibrant arts scene, making it a destination worth exploring beyond the festival.